Diffusion cloud chamber 80 x 80 cm, PJ 80, 230 V
Function and Applications
Continuously working large diffusion cloud chamber on box; the instrument can be set up by itself.
- The large diffusion cloud chamber with an 8O x 8O cm active observation surface are hermetically closed units.
- They each consist of a pedestal for the chamber on top of which lies the observation chamber.
- The chamber's pedestal holds the refrigerating unit, power supply, a tank for alcohol, a pump for alcohol and a timer.
- On top of the pedestal, the observation chamber is installed.
- The top and the sides of the observation chamber are made of glass.
- Underneath the upper sheet of glass, thin heating wires are installed, which heat up this part of the chamber and thus keep the chamber from misting over.
- These wires simultaneously serve as high-voltage mesh to gather up ions.
Equipment and technical data
- Dimensions: Height: 126 cm; Width: 128 cm; Depth: 128 cm
- Height of pedestal: 10 cm
- Active observation surface: (8O × 8O) cm
- Weight: approx. 450 kg
- Power input: approx. 2.0 kVA
Diffusion Cloud Chamber
The cloud chamber was featured on the BBC
Visualizing cosmic and background radiation