Function and Applications
Complete instrument set consisting of neuron unit, operating unit, computer interface, measureLAB software for data acquisition and analysis, diverse cables, experiment manual describing 13 experiments.
- With the instrument set 13 experiments covering the topic "nerve cell" can be performed.
- Optional upgrade available to perform additional experiments about nerve cell interactions and neuronal networks.
Equipment and Technical Data
- 2 measurement inputs each for current and voltage
- voltage inputs with BNC interface
- sampling rate 10 MHz
- 4 output channels which generate "muscle and sense signals", also serves as supply power to operate up to 4 neuron units.
- Simulates a generalised nerve cell with an apical dendrite and its synaptic contacts, a cell body (soma) and a nerve fibre (axon) with myelin sheathes and a Ranvier's ring.
- The dendrite comprises exciting, inhibiting, presynaptic and Hebbian synapses which are marked by the corresponding colours of the sockets.
- The axons end in presynaptic buttons.
- These are represented together with a part of the (afferent) fibre providing the signal.
- The connection between the (efferent) axon of a neuron unit which leads away or the stimulus output socket of the operating unit and a synapse is established by means of a white cable which is inserted into the desired synapse socket.
- The yellow sockets serve for the derivation of the state of excitement of the simulated neuron.
- They are connected to a computer interface.
- The action potentials can be made audible with the aid of the integrated acoustic monitor.
- The turning knob "S"serves for setting the "firing threshold" of the neuron.