In this experiment a white tent in the desert will be simulated
by means of a white absorber plate which is exposed under a halogen
lamp for 5 minutes. The temperature difference before and after the
irradiation is compared to that of a black absorber plate. The
outcome of this is that the white plate absorbes less solar energy
and thus heats up less.
The students should apply the results on practical examples, for
instance the white tent of the bedouins and the black skin of the
- Experiment is part of a complete solution set with a total of
17 experiments for Renewable Energy Basics and Heat energy
- Safe experimentation: the lamp is protected against touch, the
housing is well ventilated with the aid of holes and is only
- Stable setup by using the optical bench
- Why do the bedouins live in white tents?
- This experiment examines how black and white absorber plates
behave under irradiation by a halogen lamp.
What you can learn about
absorption of different surfaces