The momentum of inertia of the gyroscope is investigated by
measuring the angular acceleration caused by torques of different
known values. In this experiment, two of the axes of the gyroscope
are fixed. The relationship between the precession frequency and
the gyro-frequency of the gyroscope with 3 free axes is examined
for torques of different values applied to the axis of rotation. If
the axis of rotation of the force free gyroscope is slightly
displaced, a nutation is induced. The nutation frequency will be
investigated as a function of gyro frequency.
- Long-lasting motion due to low friction
- Slow rotation allows a comfortable measurement
- Quickly establish equilibrium with the easy to adjust counterweight
- Adjust the torque by adding additional weights
- Determination of the momentum of inertia of the gyroscope by
measurement of the angular acceleration.
- Determination of the momentum of inertia by measurement of the
gyro-frequency and precession frequency.
- Investigation of the relationship between precession and
gyro-frequency and its dependence from torque.
- Investigation of the relationship between nutation frequency
What you can learn about
- Momentum of inertia
- Angular momentum