A number of completely miscible two component mixtures are prepared to investigate the three component acetic acid / chloroform / water system. These mixtures are titrated with the third component until a two phase system is formed which causes turbidity. The phase diagram for the three component system is plotted in a triangular diagram.
- Good and reproducible results due to temperature control in the experiment.
- Stable and safe construction due to solid stand material
- Titrate nine different acetic acid / chloroform mixtures with water until a two phase system is formed in each case.
- Titrate six acetic acid / water mixtures with chloroform until phase separation is observed.
- Plot the results of the titrations, expressed as molar fractions, in a triangular diagram.
What you can learn about
- Three component system
- Miscibility gap
- Phase diagram
- Triangular diagram
- Gibb's phase law
- Precision balance 620g/0.001g