Various bodies perform torsional vibrations about axes through their centres of gravity. The vibration period is measured and the moment of inertia determined from this.
- Selection of materials allows demonstrating all aspects of moments of inertia in one experiment
- Clear and easy set-up
The following will be determined:
- The angular restoring moment of the spiral spring.
- The moment of inertia a) of a disc, two cylinder, a sphere and a bar, b) of two point masses, as a function of the perpendicular distance to the axis of rotation. The centre of gravity lies in the axis of rotation.
What you can learn about
- Rigid body
- Moment of inertia
- Axis of rotation
- Torsional vibration
- Spring constant
- Angular restoring moment
- Moment of inertia of a sphere
- Moment of inertia of a disc
- Moment of inertia of a cylinder
- Moment of inertia of a long bar
- Moment of inertia of 2 point masses