The composition of various alloys is analysed with the aid of
polychromatic X-rays. The energy of the characteristic fluorescence
lines of the alloy constituents is analysed with the aid of a
semiconductor detector and a multichannel analyser. The alloy
constituents are identified by comparing the line energies with the
corresponding table values.
- Calibrate the semiconductor energy detector with the aid of the
characteristic radiation of the tungsten X-ray tube.
- Record the spectra of the fluorescence radiation that is
generated by the samples.
- Determine of the energy values of the corresponding
fluorescence lines and compare the experimental energy values with
table values in order to identify the alloy constituents.
What you can learn about
- characteristic X-radiation
- energy levels
- fluorescent yield
- semiconductor energy detectors
- multichannel analysers