Various ore samples are subjected to polychromatic X-rays.
The energy of the resulting fluorescence radiation is analysed with
the aid of a semiconductor detector and a multichannel analyser.
The energy of the corresponding characteristic X-ray fluorescence
lines is determined. The elements of the samples are identified by
comparing the line energies with the corresponding table
- Calibrate the semiconductor energy detector with the aid of the
characteristic radiation of the tungsten X-ray tube.
- Record the fluorescence spectra that are produced by the
- Determine the energy values of the corresponding fluorescence
lines and compare the experimental energy values with the
corresponding table values in order to identify the ore
What you can learn about
- characteristic X-radiation
- energy levels
- fluorescent yield
- semiconductor energy detectors
- multichannel analysers